The Salvador is a temple of religion purposed for Roman Catholic worship under the patronage of Our Lord San Salvador.
Located in the Plaza del Salvador in Seville, the church is the largest in the city after the Cathedral.
Currently functioning as an exempt church, it was deprived of its parish ranking its latest round of restoration work. You can still catch glimmers and glimpses of the Roman and Visigothic era reflected in the church's patio and architecture.
The building was erected on the remains of the Ibn Adabba, the Great Mosque of Muslim Seville (ninth century). This religious temple, as well as its surroundings, had great importance in the daily life of the people, which is why when the Christians conquered Seville, they allowed it to be used as a mosque in the beginning, but in 1340, it was converted into the parish of Salvador.
In addition, it was agreed to maintain the ostentatious rank of the second temple of the city; for it was granted a collegiate character. Thus, this building would continue to be used religiously until 1671, when the passage of time left it strongly deteriorated. Its construction as we see it today began in 1674 with the architect Esteban García. Work ended in 1712 under the architect Leonardo de Figueroa. Later it would again be restored with work ending in early 2008, returning the temple to all its splendour.